Elder Matthew Wright Gagon - Brazil Curitiba Mission

Elder Michael David Gagon - Brazil Belo Horizonte Mission

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Matt: September 21, 2011

Dear Family,

This week was a goody. Mostly just riding my greenie companion´s new found excitement to do the work and turning this place upside down, like a bully looking for some change. This week was good. Our investigator Paulo who had a baptismal date for Saturday up and skipped town like last Thursday and we haven´t seen him since. We did talk to him on the phone though, so there is a chance that he could still be baptized this weekend. PRAY FOR HIM! Also this Sunday I had Tunisian food for lunch. It was great! I had baked leg of lamb (I think) with potatoes, and cuz-cuz, which my last companion made me fall in love with, topped with basically some minestrone soup, and this wierd eggplant and sesame seed paste that was actually right tasty! The lady that made all this for us is actually Muslim and I had a cool opportunity to teach her about Joseph Smith and the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ. She didn´t really accept it, but she was super nice and we had just a good chat about religion and my future and food. Also this week I taught in ENGLISH!!! It was wild. We were on the bus and this guy from Brooklyn looked at my companion (for that day) and said, "What are you doing here in Brasil with a last name like Palmer?"
"Umm we´re missionaries."
"I know, but where are you from?"
"Uhh... The United States; from the state of Utah."
And then we proceeded to talk more about what we´re doing here. He said he already knew our work, but we got to leave him the first message and clarify some things. He wasn´t really accepting of our message, but he invited us to watch his satellite tv which gets AMERICAN football games, eat some fried chicken, and drink a beer if we were ever close to his english school. Then he looked at me straight and asked, "Are you planning on taking a Brasilian girl back home with you when you get done?"
"Uhhh, nope. Definitely not part of the plans." I responded.
"GOOD! I would advise you NOT to do it!"
"Ok sir, good to know."
So that was basically my week this week. Nothing too crazy, but all in all it was a goody.

wif luv
-Elder Matt Gagon

No comments:

Post a Comment