Elder Matthew Wright Gagon - Brazil Curitiba Mission

Elder Michael David Gagon - Brazil Belo Horizonte Mission

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Michael: September 15, 2010

Dear Family! This week is going alright. The work is OK, me and my companion dont teach a whole ton, not that we arent working but we are working not effectively, and we walk a lot without following our plan... but whats worse we cant get anyone to go to church, so no one can be baptized.. the lessons we teach are super long Which doesnt seem to be evil but this week I had maybe the best lesson so far, using the new missionary curriculum we found out this guy has addictions he wants to get over, his mom passed away recently, hes been waiting for a change of life, he said this is what hes been needing, he FREAKED out when we showed him James 1:5, hes like do other churchs know about this? ask of god? ha. and amos 8:11-12, the hunger for the words of god. and when christ says sheep of other folds, explaining the people in the book of mormon... he loved it. Everything made sense to him cause the spirit was there. Ill try to make things brief now but at the end of the lesson we asked him to be baptized and he said ´´I will, amen!´´ haha. Guy in his twenties, GOLDEN. but after the lesson my comp starts talking about his home, his dogs, his fam , and the spirit left. Now this guy never has time to meet with us.... its bad. and we walk a lot without following our plan... but whats worse we cant get anyone to go to church, so no one can be baptized.

Just a little venting right there, dont mind it. I kinda feel part of a failing marriage, my second. But I fasted for unity for us and found out what we have in common -the church! ha no but I feel like my fast was answered cause my comp started talking about his theory that the 3 wise men are Nephi and Lehi (sons of Helaman, not the originals) and Samuel the Lamanite. Cause one is always black, samuel, and they disappear from the book of mormon, and nobody knows where they came from... It makes sense, he explained it pretty good. And today he was talking about the errors in the bible, like when Moses calls God to repentance in Exodus 33, in Acts 9:9 or something the conversion of Saul, says that the people with him heard the voice but didnt see anybody, and Acts 22 I think when he retells it, says that they saw the light but heard not the voice. SO anyway, thats what brings us together, and some more stuff along the lines of false doctrine.

So last week we had the 3 day long training, why I didnt email on wednesday, and monday and tuesday night, the missionaries that came from far for the meeting were assigned another pair to stay the night with. So we had 2 nights of sleep overs with another couple. and we did divisions, so 2 nights my companion was Elder Clites from Boston, who was Elder Browns companion in the CTM who do not like eachother. Elder brown is a yankee, and clites a red sox, No but its more than that, they dont get along, and I realized how much pride and gossip is in the mission. I dont think Elder Brown is well favored by the missionaries but it just bugged me hearing all the trash talk. BUT something you guys might care about... that night on divisions 2 notable experiences happened in the same visit, 1 I ate THE BEST cake, it was like a coconut tres leches. It was someones birthday, so there were like 15 people in the little room, standing cause there arent enough chairs. And we asked the aunt or grandma to say the opening prayer, mistake... and She went OFF, probably 4 minutes, OH MY JESUS, HALLELUJAH! over and over, with her hands in the air, stomping. Prophesying for her sister not to get in the car with her husband tomorrow, but she also thanked us and said our prayer healed her husband, (the previous visit we gave him a blessing cause he was rolling on the couch in pain, haha kinda crazy), But this prayer was LOCO and lasted a long time, and I was trying not to laugh, finally after a while I peek wondering if this was going to end, and EVERYONE has their eyes open, looking at me, probably thinking im rude laughing. Maybe you had to be there.

what else: It rained for the first time, I think it was the first time, cause it was during the night which made me realize it couldve rained before, but I dont think so.. but the streets were wet when we left that morning. and my Comp takes forever long showers, basically uses the whole morning in the bathroom, Ive had to pee in a bottle a few times, and he also doesnt wash any dishes. So one morning I used our waffle iron/george forman, the only clean thing to make my eggs haha I took a picture but forgot to bring my camera today.

The second counselor in our bishopric is on the inactive list, I think he travels a lot for work but... who knows, and the first counselor, this old guy, went on a division with my comp and my comp said in one of the lessons he told the investigators that he thinks all churchs are good and everyone will be saved ha... and our bishop is just goofy, he´s got mop hair, like harry potter, but hes a good guy. Thats our bishopric.

Today I got PUMPED on the bible dictionary. I discovered Gospels, the harmony of.... If you dont know what that is, I didnt, look at it its awesome. and also Quotes, in the bible dictionary, where it compares similar scriptures. SO COOL. Find out that Luke wrote the book of Acts... Also, they dont have King James version or the Bible dictionary in portuguese so Use it and be grateful for it.

Well guys I love you, Im well, excited for General conference (kinda not, portuguese translations, woof) But Im not sure Ive mentioned yet, David A Bednar is coming here in October too. I hope all is well, things are kinda quiet there it seems like ha. But I miss you and pray for you. Elder Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment