Elder Matthew Wright Gagon - Brazil Curitiba Mission

Elder Michael David Gagon - Brazil Belo Horizonte Mission

Monday, September 20, 2010

Matt: September 20, 2010 VISA!!!!

Querido familha,

I GOT MY VISA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my heck I got the call from Pres. Hutchings telling me I got it (actually my comp from President's phone doing a bad impersonation) Friday and I will be flying out this week! Legal de mais!!!! I'm getting super nervous/scared to go though, because I've lost quite a bit of my portuguese and nobody there speaks english ha ha. Plus just different contrasts in the work. So yeah that is super exciting. Brasil here I come!

Ok so this week I actually got a call to go on exchanges with the APs up in Brentwood. So I was getting super stoked for that thinking I was the chosen one or whatnot, because I had no clue why they would want me to serve with them. I was thinking maybe they received some kind of revelation that I could come serve with them and magically become a good missionary and go forth and be one of the Legends like Elder Carpenter (a fellow alta hawk/future apostle). So they come and get me and they say, "There's been a slight change of plans. Elder Pearson (one of the APs) is having hernia surgery tomorrow, and you are going to be his companion in the mission home while he recovers." So basically all tuesday and wednesday I sat on my keester in the mission home watching 'The Work and The Glory' and sleeping and lifting anything over 5 lbs. for my companion and writing letters. So for those of you that I was able to write, that's why the letters are so much longer than usual. So yeah, it was definitely humbling to go from being the 'chosen one' to the full time baby sitter. It was great though, I enjoyed it. Especially being as mom would say the 'lazy lumpa lardo' that I am, it was nice to kick back and just veg. It won't ever happen again, so I was glad I got to experience it when I did.

After that I came back to the 'Boro and my companion went up to a leadership conference, and left me and my companion, who's been out even less time than I have, by ourselves to run amuck in Murfreesboro. Once again, it sucked. Someday I will not suck at being a leader, but that time has not yet come to pass.

One of our less-actives came to church yesterday. She's no bishopric member, but it was so great to see her there, cuz she hadn't been to church the whole time I had been here and she was one of my most faves. I was glad to see her though.

That's pretty much it. Work is going along super slowly here in the Boro, but I'm skipping town this week so yeah. I don't know if I can say I left this area better than I found it, but I can honestly say I worked my hiney off, and perhaps even "planted some seeds". Hopefully Brasil won't be the mighty struggle that I envision it (possibly) being. I'm super excited though.

Mom- thanks for getting my patriarchal blessing to me. It got here just in time:)
Al- yeah screaming kids in restaurants can kinda ruin a meal ha ha

Amo todos voce^s
-Elder Matt Gagon

No comments:

Post a Comment