Elder Matthew Wright Gagon - Brazil Curitiba Mission

Elder Michael David Gagon - Brazil Belo Horizonte Mission

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Matt: September 29, 2010

Dear Greatest Family in the world,

What is up? So I´ve been in Brasil for a week now and it is something else. There are dogs everywhere, kinda like in most 3rd world countries, but I saw a dog with a couple dreadlocks in its tail so that was kinda wild.

I´m not gonna lie the language is a struggle. I can understand about 65% of what people say, depending on speed of speech, but some people are really patient with me and repeat what they just said like 12 times at sloth-turtle speed and others say things like "Oh this guy doesn´t even know how to ask for rice and beans." that are hurtful, but ok at the same time cuz I speak english; the hardest language to learn in the world, so they can take a hike! Then there are the people that laugh in my face when I´m trying to tell them how important the gospel is, because they think my portuguese is so bad. It´s alright though they are just feelings, they´ll heal in time.

Sometimes it is a blessing though cuz there´s this proud man we are teaching (the one who said I couldn´t order rice and beans actually) who would just argue with my companion about authority and how you get it and who really is and isn´t a prophet. Then when I mustered up the courage to talk to this proud man he had to listen super close and try and understand my broken portuguese when I said "Proud man, I know you have doubts about Joseph Smith and our prophet and their true authority, but if you want some PROOF that he truly was called of God to be the one true prophet on earth that leads and guides His church you can have it" bust out O Livro de Mórmon "if you read this I know that you will come to know that Joseph Smith was God´s prophet... Now go take a hike while I give my feelings some time to heal." ha ha I didn´t say that last part, but I did say the other part, and the spirit was strong like ox. ha ha.

So yeah other than that things have been good.. My comp is a stud to the max! Elder Simper, remember the name. He teaches me lots of things. The work is way different here than in Tennessee. We set dates like crazy here, and in Tennessee we just...don´t ha ha. I think people in Brasil are either just more open to the gospel, or just more perceptive and willing to do what God wants them to do (get baptized, by proper authority) or else we have just been teaching better here, cuz I feel like we´ve made more progress in my one week here than the average week in Tennessee.

My comp is super bold which is awesome and helps a ton.... The food here is pretty ok. I didn´t think I was a food snob til I got here and my comp is always like "Oh this stuff is the BEST" and then I try it and am like ~Surely this can not be the best thing Brazil has to eat~ and then he says "It is the best, and stop calling me Shirley" ha ha but no we had lettuce juice one day at lunch (lettuce, water and sugar blended up) and it tasted pretty much exactly how you think it would taste lol. So yeah things are good.

So yeah that´s that about that. I love all of you, but right now I got to go.

Love, Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment