Elder Matthew Wright Gagon - Brazil Curitiba Mission

Elder Michael David Gagon - Brazil Belo Horizonte Mission

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Matt: May 18, 2011

Dearest family,

Wassup? So this week was a goody. Definitely the highlight of the week was my 22nd birthday. Sunday I was assigned to give a talk in church about missionary work and I talked about charity and how it has to do with the missionary work that we do. It was short but powerful. Well I felt the power, or I felt something up there giving my talk. I´m pretty sure it was power. It was supposed to be a 10 minute talk, but the spirit only gave utterance for like 6 1/2. Then my comp got up and talked everybody´s ears off, and same with the stake mission leader. After the meeting, sed stake mission leader was talking to me and my comp and asked how old we are. I paused for a second before saying "22" and my companion, ever the one upper replied, "26". Then this stake mission guy said something that really struck me. He said with a weary smile, "Elders I´m 50. And this work..." pointing to our name tags, "this work never stops." It was so profound, because even in his post missionary age he is still spreading the gospel. Then in our second sacrament meeting (we cover 2 wards in this area) they couldn´t take anymore of the power, so my companion and the stake president (and some other guy) were the ones to speak in sacrament meeting. So all in all it was good. However the highlight of my week and maybe my mission came when I was playing with my lighter after eating 3 plates of chili for dinner- ha ha ha (I wish). Just kidding, it came when I took Maria Eduarda Roberta da Silva by the hand into the waters of baptism and reaped what the Lord has been sowing for so long. It was great. Usually when I baptize I´m nervous about whether I´ll get the words right, or little insignificant things. Sunday was different. I was totally just in the moment and I just felt the spirit super strong and everything just went smoothly. There were only 14 people there, but I know that all of us felt a little closer to Heavenly Father during that little baptismal service.
Other than that this week has been pretty dull. Monday we had lunch at a restaurant with a $5 clean plate fee. ha ha ha meaning that if you didn´t eat everything on your plate you had to pay an EXTRA 5 bucks! ha haha Only in Brasil. Things are good though. The weather has become FREEZING in the past week to the point that I now have to sleep with socks on. Yeah. Shiver me timbers. I´m still waiting on any and all birthday packages but surely they will get here soon enough. I love you all. Enjoy some pics. Tchau!!

Love, Elder Gagon


No comments:

Post a Comment