Elder Matthew Wright Gagon - Brazil Curitiba Mission

Elder Michael David Gagon - Brazil Belo Horizonte Mission

Monday, August 9, 2010

Matt: Aug. 9th 2010 10-S-E

Querido Familha,

How's it going fam? PTL y'all. PTL! Ha ha that is southern internet/facebook talk for "Praise The Lord" People are different here.

Gosh I wish I had a cool story to tell, but this past week has been the week where I learn just how hard missionary work is. We did a lot of tracting which brought little to no success. I guess I've just been learning how people use their agency, ya know? Like in an ideal world people would: meet the missionaries, hear the lessons about the gospel, read and pray about the Book of Mormon, receive their answer that it is truly the word of God written by his true prophet, and then get baptized and be faithful members, and the biggest problem in missionary work would be pneumonia from never being dry... However that is not how it goes. Half the people here have already been saved, and the other half just don't want to hear about no Joe Smith and his gold bible. It's so weird that we all worship the same God, but we can't seem to agree on who does it the right way. Which brings up my least favorite half of christians- Non-denominational..WOOF!

Anywho I won't bore you with all that junk. I just wish I had a success story or two like Michael to share, but I don't... We also had zone conference this week and it was great. The power went out due to some giant storm, but it came on like an hour later. We also went to a wednesday night bible study/dinner at the Baptist church this week. We tracted into one of their preachers and after giving us the old "I respect what you do, but you're wrong" shpeal that I'm almost sick of hearing, he invited us to that and it was nice. They had fried chicken (from wal mart..woof) and mac&cheese, which is huge here in the south. I swear I've never had so much non-box mac&cheese in my life. And then just regular salads and stuff. But yeah it was crazy. At first I was super apprehensive, cuz it was like 3 foxes going into a chicken coop just to hang out. So everybody was just staring daggers at us at first wondering why we were there, but then as the night went on we just started talking to people and it was actually really cool. They turned out to be really really nice and would all make really good members someday ha ha. But no, after dinner we went into the bible study sesh- the first half was spent talking about all the problems everybody has. So for example it went a little something like: Sonny Crocket fell off a ladder yesterday and broke his hips, so pray for him. Also Ole Granny Dixon hasn't been saved yet, so pray for her as well. And not to mention Bubba Jameson is still recovering from being hit by the car when he went pickin up possum off the interstate for supper, so pray for him... And they just added names to this already giant list of names of people and all their problems. I'll try to send you that list cuz I kept it.. But yeah so after that we studied Revelations 13:1-12 and this preacher just gave his point of view, which had to include Obama, and it was just like "wednesday night deep doctrine class" Muito estranha. But yeah it was a good experience though. Until we found one of our "inactives" there.oh my heck.

So yeah that's kind of how this week has gone.

Mom- that's awesome you got to visit Al. Buffalo rocks. Go do the church sites while you are there!
Dad------ I forgot
Al- As far as a package goes, those nuts are always good. As far as sweets go I like anything chewy/gummy and fruity in flavor
Rhett- How's PG? Are you in the Ruf's house, or a place all your own? I got your letter about Duke's morning mess and it was funny. I'll write you back for sure though
Jor- Eu estou tendo uma vez muito dificil para guardar meu portugues.. Tal vez voce pode escrever-me em portugues so?
Nat- How's being pregnant? Nate I got your letter and it also rocked. Desk sounds sweet. Will write back more paper style.
Can- I have a scripture for you, Alma 60:6.. It says "We desire to know the cause of this exceedingly great neglect, yea we desire to know the cause of this thoughtless state"
Michael- Mish sounds good
Nick- Write me back foo!
Jason- Yeah Michael's comp is the Downtown Tay Brown

Com muito amor-
Elder Gagon

No comments:

Post a Comment